In 2007, the American Precision Museum engaged the Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) in Washington DC to document the remains of the waterwheel pit and millworks at the 1846 Robbins & Lawrence Armory. Since 1966, the Armory has been the home of the American Precision Museum, a National Historic Landmark. Christopher Marston, HAER architect, led the project, in collaboration with John Johnson, an industrial historian from Marshfield VT.
HAER was established in 1969 by the National Park Service, the American Society of Civil Engineers and the Library of Congress to document historic sites and structures related to engineering and industry. This HAER project is comprised of a written report, providing context for historical, technological and archaeological aspects of the site’s significance, photographic documentation of existing conditions, and interpretive drawings to reconstruct what may have existed. The final report and drawings will be archived at the Library of Congress American Memory website in the HAER collection.
To order a printed, bound copy, please contact the museum at 802-674-5781.
Want more content from the American Precision Museum?
Sign up to receive news straight to your inbox!