Robbins & Lawrence Armory
Interpretive drawings completed in 2009 as part of a study by the Historic American Engineering Record explain how the museum's building evolved from 1846 to the present. Detailed renderings of the 1846 period show how the waterpower system worked, and also indicate changes to the building over time. The basement of the main block (not open to the public) still contains the remains of the gearing frame that supported the 18’ diameter breast wheel (long gone), and the waterwheel pit, approximately 19’ deep and 18’ across.
The complete study report, which includes the interpretive drawings, photographs, and a thorough descriptive narrative is available in book form at the Museum Shop and at the American Memory site of the Library of Congress.