Essential Question: How did factories transform the geography of the town?
For Advanced and High School Students
- Collecting and Analyzing Photographs Activity
- Find old postcards or photographs of landmarks in your community (6 sample postcards included)
- Compare them with new photos of how the site looks today. What do photos from various time periods tell you about technology? (Lesson plan provided)
- Also included: Photo analysis worksheets
Essential Question: How was your community different after industrialization?
- Immigration – How did migration, work, and settlement change within your community as a result of the Industrial Revolution? Using Census Data and on-line research to analyze immigration patterns in your town (Complete lesson provided)
- Leisure activities – What leisure activities were available in a New England town 1910-1920? Community News pages from the Springfield Reporter and basketball team photo
- Legacy and Impact: Display 6 additional photos for discussion.
Please click on the thumbnails below to see the full-sized image with description.